July: A Homestead Celebration for Public Servants

My nephew is a police officer in a large Midwestern city. He has a servant's heart, working nights, participating on the SWAT team, teaching at the academy and spending days getting to know the neighborhood he serves.  I used to pray for his safety but it finally dawned on me that if he wanted to be safe he wouldn't have chosen police work. I told him that and said that now I pray that he will be alert, that he'll use good judgment, that he'll be a positive force within his city and offer his compassion and servant's heart. He said those were much better prayers! So far, so good.

I chose public servants as our final HOMESTEAD birthday celebration honorees because public servants have been so helpful in our lives. When we first moved to the ranch, our setter dog disappeared. It was the local postmistress who learned about a stray dog 12  miles downriver. Ricky's ID tag said "Bend" because we hadn't changed it yet so people didn't know how to reach us. But the postmistress did! She put a note in our mailbox telling us and voila, we got Ricky back (driving 50 miles to get him!).  When we needed help putting in the phone line, the head of the road department on a weekend helped us with the right-of-way; ambulance drivers (volunteers) came down our road more than once. Fires brought both neighbors and the volunteer fire departments. When we had trouble, we called the state police and Sheriff or BLM staff and they always came to assist. Today, I love my postal deliverers and those I take my books to mail to. The police have assisted during a scare; And once again we've used that ambulance!


I have two great nephews in the military and a cousin and niece and nephew used to serve. Kevin, Jerry's oldest son, lies in a veteran-marked grave. I always get teary when the local choral group and band put on the Fourth of July concert and all the former military are asked to stand during the playing of their branch of service's theme song. Remembering Milton's poem, I also think they serve "who only stand and wait" which brings to mind all the  families who send their sons and daughters, wives and husbands off to war.



It takes a community of public servants and I confess, they are who I remember when I pay my taxes. Those in my neighborhood and those around the world deserve our recognition. So this month of July, the last birthday month, consider nominating a public servant in your life! I'd love to share a lunch with them and with you!

July is our final month to celebrate Jane's 70th & Homestead's 25th!  If this is the first you have seen about this celebration, you can find much more information about what you could win HERE.  To nominate someone, fill out the the Google form HERE.  It's fast and easy!  We are looking forward to announcing the grand prize winners at the beginning of August.  Who will enjoy lunch with Jerry & Jane on the deck of Homestead?     

Comments