A ledge garden to remember

Jane Sherar had a garden. It was carved from a rock ledge overlooking the Deschutes River in Central Oregon. She and her husband ran a hotel that at the time - the late 1800's- was the largest structure between San Francisco and Seattle. The hotel called the Sherar House was built where a bridge crossed the Deschutes River on the Old Dalles Military Highway. The Dalles was a bustling town along the Columbia River at the time and shipments to the gold fields kept people on the road heading into Eastern Oregon.

Descendants told me about Jane's garden and I had photographs of little bridges leading from the third story of the hotel right out to that ledge garden high above the river in the rimrocks. In my book, I had her plant vegetables but also a sweet grape arbor. It just seemed like the perfect place. Watering wouldn't have been easy with the garden high above the river but they had hotel employees - many employed from the nearby Indian reservation - who likely carried heavy buckets of water across those little bridges out to the garden to feed those thirsty plants.

Before I finished the book, A Sweetness to the Soul, where the garden is mentioned, I received a phone call from a man who said as a boy he'd stayed at the Sherar House hotel one summer. His father was an engineer and worked on the fish ladder there. The man told me that his brother, father, mom and this now elderly man had the run of the hotel. "Do you remember the ledge garden?" I asked him.

"Oh yes. I slept on the third floor and the bridge went from my room out to that ledge where the railroad goes now."

"I don't supposed you'd have any idea what they planted there?"

"For certain they had sweet grapes. Some of the old vines still stood."

The hotel burned not long after they'd spent their summer there but I will always remember the delight of discovering that something I'd written in fiction had a basis in fact...I just hadn't known that when I wrote it. It's a garden to remember. Photos show the hotel but sadly, not the garden... You can see them here

What gardens have you visited that are worth mentioning?

Just came across this video and wanted to share it with you.  Enjoy the cheer it provides.



This Spring things are starting to get busy around here....
  • Next Tuesday is the official release day for Where Lilacs Still Bloom. Have you pre-ordered your signed copy?
  • WaterBrook Multnomah Publishers is giving away a Flower Membership for a year.  Talk about flower-cheer all year round! Enter here
  • April 23-27 I will be hosting a blog hop to celebrate the release of Lilacs.  There will be some great authors to meet if you have not yet already done so.  And of course there will be some prizes involved too!
  • And for a little fun, those of you on Pinterest might want to participate in a Spring-Time community board I created.  Visit the board for instructions on how to participate.
  • If you are not on Pinterest but have some great Spring photos (whatever images represent Spring to you), feel free to upload them to my facebook page. Would love to see them!
  • There are a lot of events happening due to the release of Lilacs.  Most of them will show up on Facebook, however to see everything I will be doing all in one place just visit the events page on my website

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was enchanted by A Sweetness to the Soul. And I'm excited about visiting the Lilac Garden very soon. Thank you for making history come alive!

An "avid reader"
Anonymous said…
Thank you Jane. The video is lovely. The weeks it must have taken to film the 2.5 min clip. I think the nicest garden I have ever seen was in Vienna at the Shoenbrun (sp) Palace, but I can't say I've ever seen a garden I have not liked. The Portland rose garden is right there on top of the list.
Anonymous said…
We loved A Sweetness to the Soul and plan to explore central Oregon and especially visiting this area this summer.
Anonymous said…
We visited the Sweetness to the Soul location a few years back and still saw Indians fishing on platforms. It was like we stepped back in time, due to the images you created.

One of my favorite gardens is Buchart Gardens just out of Victoria B.C. Another is the small Kula Botanical Garden on the island of Maui with gorgeous tropical blossoms. It's way up in the hills and you can look out to the Pacific, too. Another is my own little backyard garden, weedy and haphazard tho it may be, because I get to dig up carrots with my grandchildren and share in their amazement.

marea stone
Jane said…
I hope you're able to visit the lilac gardens. With this warm weather the lilacs should really pop!
Jane said…
Ah, a garden in Vienna. How lovely. And you're so right about the Portland rose garden. The Japanese garden in Portland Oregon is also a favorite. Thanks for reminding me of great gardens.
Jane said…
Great! You might visit the Sherman County Museum too where they have photos of the way things looked at the Sherar site long ago. It's in Moro and a great museum.
Jane said…
I love the Buchart gardens, too Marea. Did you visit the butterfly garden next door? What an enchanting place. Your backyard garden seems to produce a lot of jams that come our way with much gratitude. Take care, Jane