Welcome! Happy Facebook-Author-Hopping....oh and the contest too...


Welcome to Words of Encouragement, a blog of inspiration from me, Jane Kirkpatrick.  I'm so glad you are here.  If you have been one of my faithful followers for years, or today is your first visit, I hope you will grab a cup of coffee, tea, or your drink of choice & relax in your favorite chair.

This week is all about getting to know each other as I hope you learn about me and I, you!

Depending on what day you are reading this post, you may have been introduced to me from another author (Thank you for being here!).  So, I wanted to share just a few quick things about myself. 

My previous books have been historical fiction.  I take pride in doing massive research to know my landscape and story before writing it.  Sometimes it may even be about my family.  However, this time I decided to dabble in something a little different...contemporary fiction.  For those of you who have enjoyed reading about a woman character with sa trong personality & persistent to pursue their passion with fervor, that will remain true in my new story Barcelona Calling.

What keeps me going each and every day?  My loving husband, two dogs (Bo & Caesar), and you, my readers.

So, without further adieu...The rules for the contest are just a click away.  See the "current contest tab" at the top of the page?  Just click on that and then come back here...we will wait for you!  Simply put....every day on Facebook you will be sent to visit a new author's page to check out and "like".  Then come back to the blog and leave a comment based on that question for each day.  Participants who comment as such on each post will be entered into the drawing...

I introduced a little of me above, but I thought I would allow someone else to tell you a bit more about me & Barcelona Calling.  Here is an article from the September 2011 newsletter from Deon Stonehouse at Sunriver Books & Music:

Jane is well known and beloved for her historical fiction, books that tell the story of real women who made contributions to history. Her books inform, entertain, and keep alive the stories of women. Sunriver had a fabulous quilt show in August, so let’s mention a related book, Aurora is a non-fiction account of the quilts hanging on the museum wall and the women who created these works of art, because surely quilting is a work of art. The Emma Giesy trilogy, A Clearing in the Wild, A Tendering in the Storm, and A Mending at the Edge gives a good example of Jane’s passion for telling the stories of strong women. Emma traveled west from Missouri, the only woman in a band of scouts, made tragic choices in Willapa Washington, and eventually took part in settling Aurora Oregon. Jane has written of women doing many extraordinary things from running a wagon train to becoming a photographer in the early days of photography. But this time Jane has written something entirely different.


Barcelona Calling had a working title of Oprah Doesn’t Know My Name. Trademark issues required a different title, but the talk show maven is still a presence in the book. Annie Shaw is an author being published by a romance publisher. Understandably her publisher expects the books to follow the program, boy meets girl, boy gets girl (or vice-versa). Annie’s books don’t adhere to the format; they tell stories of people facing conflict and the choices they make in overcoming the obstacles in their lives. They are warm stories full of humanity but lacking in the girl gets boy department. As Barcelona Calling opens, Annie is sort of celebrating the completion of her latest manuscript with her sister and closest friends. But Annie is worried. She is on book 4 of a 4 book contract and sales of the last two have not been brisk. To make matters worse, her advocate in the publishing firm, her editor, is gone and she is interacting with a new editor. Annie is afraid she will be dropped, a very unsettling fate for an author.


Her friends start brainstorming on ways to raise Annie’s work to the top of the best seller’s charts. It doesn’t take them long to hit on a scheme, if they can only get Oprah to mention Annie, her worries (or at least her publishing worries) will be over. Thus begins a series of humorous escapades aimed at bringing Annie to Oprah’s notice. They are entertaining. Let me just give you one of the earlier attempts as an example. Annie has long been a cat lover, but Oprah is known to favor the canine crowd. The girls decide Annie will adopt a dog then take it to the dog salon Oprah frequents. Oprah being an ardent animal lover will no doubt be charmed by Annie and her pooch. It is a doomed quest. First of all, Annie having no knowledge of dogs selects a Jack Russell Terrier. The cute animal is sleeping peacefully in his cage at the shelter. Annie is blissfully unaware that for the Jack Russell there are only 3 speeds, sleep, cuddle, and full tilt boogie, with the last being the prevailing speed. Let’s just say that you could interpose terrorist for terrier and you would have an idea of the outcome of the dog salon scheme. No worries though, Jane Kirkpatrick, like Oprah, is an animal lover. So the terrier/terrorist is going to be okay.


Annie’s latest book is inspired by events in her personal life. She accompanied her sister to Barcelona where her sister, a cop, was competing in the International Police and Fireman’s Games. Riding a bus Annie is saved from a near robbery by a Spanish cop, sparks fly and a romance begins. But Annie leaves Jamie behind to return to her life in the states. He doesn’t want to give her up. When her agent and publisher discover the book has a real life love story, they want to exploit it for publicity.


As the schemes for becoming famous multiply Annie starts to lose sight of what made her write and of how she wants to live her life. Like all Jane Kirkpatrick books, Annie’s story has her facing challenges and learning. But this story is very funny too! Jane has written a modern story suffused with humor and warmth. Please come out and support this author as she stretches into new territory and does just fine.

Thanks Deon for a fabulous interview, and the opportunity to be introduced to you readers/listeners/shoppers again!

Participating in the contest? Here is your question:  Do you read books because you like the author, the genre, or recommended by someone? (if you want to comment as anonymous, please leave your name and first initial of your last name in your comment so you can be tracked each day)

Tweet about the contest!

Barcelona Calling is already available for purchase.  Ready to order a copy?  Visit my publisher's site to for the links to all online retailers for purchase.

Would you consider writing a review at one of the online retail sites? Feedback is the greatest compliment, and all are welcome...be honest!  Thanks again for being here and good luck with the contest!

Comments

Connie R. said…
I am SO excited about this author hopping contest. I did one last year and met some wonderful authors. Now to the question, I read and choose books for ALL of the reasons you listed...I have my favorite authors....like Jane here!....my favorite genres....like Amish fiction, police procedurals, mystery....AND when a good friend recommends a book they have loved, I get curious!!! YAY for Jane's contest...Barcelona sounds WONDERFUL!!!
Anonymous said…
I've never seen a contest like this! Good luck to everyone! Now to the question, I select books based on all the suggestions above but, alas, I also pick books based on the BOOK COVER. I know, I know.....crazy, but I do. :-)
Anonymous said…
I do read books because of the author. I have a few favorite authors. I enjoy finding and reading books of authors that I'm not familiar with too.

I don't have just one genre that I read. I use to but I have broadened my horizons so to speak! Once I discovered historical fiction I was hooked, but I don't just read historical fiction. As an avid reader I read a wide variety.

I also read books recommended by other people. There is this lady in my sunday school class that I pass my books along to. Before I get them back, she in turns passes them on to her daughter. I think this is an excellent way to introduce people to authors they haven't read before.

Blessings,
Judy

judyjohn2004[a]yahoo[dot]com
lanakluke said…
I am very excited about Barcelona Calling. I have always loved your stories, but this one is intriguing because it is so different from what you usually write. I choose books in many different ways. I follow certain authors and get recommendations from friends. When I browse through book stores I look for catchy titles or covers I like. I rely on Goodreads.com to keep me organized on what I have read and what I plan to read. There are too many books and too little time.
Anonymous said…
I am very choosy about the books I read. I am committed to reading books that are edifying to my soul and pleasing to God. When I find a favorite author (like you) I usually read all of their books. Historical fiction and biography are my favorites. Thanks for writing!
Donna J.
Anonymous said…
My favorite way to select a book to read is by author. When I have found an author I love, I look forward to each new release.

In addition, I will also read a book recommended by a friend. I also like Jane's e-newsletter for her recommendations.

Thank you for the contest.

Jackie Thomson
angelica Williams said…
I choose books for all the reasons you mention -If I read a book & like the author, some genres like crime detective I use for a quick read, a friend's recommendation will get me interested - or cos it's on my library's bookclub list -
Anonymous said…
I choose books for all those reasons but tend to continue with authors I really enjoy. I save book reviews from the newspaper and magazine for those that sound interesting and keep a running list of books to read. I will never run out. I like to share my books but always want Jane's books to be returned.

YvonneR
K Overton said…
I choose books because they are about something I am interested in, both fiction and non-fiction. After reading a book that I have found rewarding I will often look for other books by that author. I was so impressed with the first book I read by Jane that I have decided I want to read all of her books and am savoring my time accomplishing that. I have loved them all but my favorites are the Marion Dorion series. I have just started reading Barcelona Calling and although diffrent from her other books am thoroughly enjoying it.
Pam K. said…
I have a "favorites" list of authors that is quite extensive. I try to read all their books that I can find. These are usually Christian fiction plus a few cozy type mystery authors. However, I enjoy reading blogs and learning about new Christian fiction authors to read. I generally like historical or contemporary romances, and suspense/mystery. Jane is on my list of favorite authors; I have quite a few of her books, but unfortunately, not all. I appreciate the detail she gives her historical writings, plus the lyrical voice of her work. I'm looking forward to reading "Barcelona Calling." Even though this is a new genre for Jane, I expect we will find the same great writing. Thanks for sponsoring this contest!
pmk56[at]sbcglobal[dot]net
Jane said…
I love hearing about how you select books. I look at the cover too! Word of mouth is a huge plus and I've heard that lots of people take the recommendation of people who work in the bookstores. Sometimes at signings not many people will have time to stop by but time with sales people is a plus for authors. I hope you'll discover new authors on this hop. Lisa Bergren, whom you'll soon meet, was the editor of my best-selling Kinship and Courage Series so I know you'll love meeting her. thanks for hopping! Jane
Sheri said…
I choose books for all of the reasons you listed. Since I am an elementary school library technician I read many children's books for my job but I would read them anyway. Reading keeps me sane!
Nancy Jurka said…
Having been a bookseller at Barnes and Noble, the cover has to hook me in first-then the back cover. After that I read the last 2 pages of the book-not the first. I find that if the ending is good and spars my interest to read it from the beginning to the end-the writer has done his/her job! And...I never remember the ending as I read the book- I am too involved in it so I don't see it as a "spoiler". I have done this for years. I even taught my students in my school library to do the same to get them hooked on a book! Do you know that it is under 10 seconds for me to sell a book to a customer-whether it is in a bookstore or in a school library? I cannot wait to read Barcelona Calling!
Maribeth said…
As others have mentioned, I've never seen a contest like this one. I'm looking forward to it because there are authors involved with whom I'm not acquainted. As for the question, my priority is probably genre, author, recommendation, in that order. However, when I find an author I like I usually search their site, read their comments and any synopsis available and, if a particular book sounds good, it's added to my "wish list" . . . a stack of 3x5 cards kept in my purse for easy access when I'm shopping or at the library. I'm not a huge fan of TV so reading is how I spend my down time.
Marla said…
I read books because I like the the genre mainly. I am always ready to try a new author if I like the the genre
I generally start with books in my favorite genre--historical Christian romance. It's also what I write. I love books set in the late 1800s where the stories are placed in the West. I also read my favorite authors' books and sometimes different genres.

For people looking for great Christian fiction, there are hundreds of books listed on www.fictionfinder.com
Gayle Gresham said…
Friends' recommendations in my favorite genres (historical fiction, women's fiction) tend to be how I learn about new authors. Once i find one I like, then I read every book they've written and anxiously wait for the next one!
Do you read books because you like the author, the genre, or recommended by someone?
each of these come into play for my reading. If i like an author i'll look for more, i do have fave genres i stick to faithfully, but i am willing to read on a recommendation...
Anonymous said…
I choose books by all three methods. If I find an author I love, I usually do try to find all their books. Genre is sometimes tricky because within the genre, the styles can be so different. Recommendations are always fun because you have someone to talk to about the book while you are reading/when you are finished!
LeeAnn G.
Sandra Titus said…
I read books for all three methods. I love suspense & mystery. However, when I find a contemporary author I'm hooked. The author has a lot to do with my choices.
Janel B said…
I tend to read books based on the genre. I like inspirational books, but lately I have read books by the same authors and realized how much style plays into my interest in the book. For example, although I like inspirational books I prefer more chic lit with multiple story lines.
anne marenko said…
I read because of genre. At age 57, I am enjoying history and research.

Anne M.
Anonymous said…
If I like the author, I'll read each book that comes out. I do like historical fiction - so I seek those out. I have read quite a few that were recommended. Without a lead - I'll just wander around the Library until I see 3-4 that look interesting. I have been reviewing books online for many companies this past year and it has widened my list of favorite authors.
Anonymous said…
I read books for a number of reasons - author, genre, recommendations, book club. Sometimes I even just wander the bookstore or an internet bookstore and read the synopsis and take a chance on authors I have never read. So many talented authors out there...
Anonymous said…
I read books for a number of reasons - author, genre, recommendations, book club. Sometimes I even just wander the bookstore or an internet bookstore and read the synopsis and take a chance on authors I have never read. So many talented authors out there...

Christina M. - The Dalles, OR
Anonymous said…
Hi Jane I have only read 2 of you're books but enjoyed them very much and looking forward to reading many more. I read anything and every thing.I do have favorite authors and genere,but if a book peeks my intrest to where I don't want to put it down and stay up till 4 in the morning reading I am hooked and look for more books by that author.Such as you're books. Deanna I.
Jackie H. said…
I choose books primarily by author. I belong to two book clubs and other members frequently suggest new genres and authors that expand my selections.
margie said…
Jane, I have read almost all of your historical novels and love them!! I'm sure Barcelona Calling is going to be great and can't wait to get a copy of it! We established ties to Barcelona about 18 0r 20 years ago when we hosted a young man as part of an exchange program. Since then we have remained close and actually hosted his brother and sister!! We had a reunion in July!! Wishing you all the best!! Margie at mijares dot net
margie said…
Ooops!! I missed the question when I posted before:( I usually read the book because I like the author..sometimes I choose based on genre. I love books so I am always looking for any reason to read one...and I love to support the younger "up and coming" writers as well. Margie at mijares dot net
Elaine said…
Oh my, how do I choose? I love all things Christian and love to read, so that is my starting point. I have favorite authors and of course Jane is one of them:)

Thanks so much,
Elaine
Anonymous said…
I love many authors, and find I become hooked on one and then exhaust their list. I browse my favorite genre, historical fiction, then choose books off the shelves by title, cover, and skimming a few chapters. I read what my friends recommend, what the book club reads, and then look on Facebook to see what my favorite authors are reading. Classics never fail me, and librarians picks often delight.
Victoria Pann
Flindy said…
I usually choose books based on someone's recommendation. I tend to like series books and when I find an author I like, I watch for more of their work.
Anne Schroeder said…
I like to prowl the aisles of bookstores and see what piques my interest. I think it's a throwback to my early days, in a town of 500 where our library was a 12x12 building and we read whatever was on the shelf that day. I still choose my books rather randomly.
lori shultz said…
I read books for all of the reasons stated above. Being in a Christian book club opens me to books I might not have chosen on my own. I also read books based upon my favorite author's recommendations.
nicki said…
I love to read! Have since I was little. I get to go places that I probably won't be able to go to now. I love finding a new author and then can't wait until they write another book. I get sad when an author I like doesn't write anymore or has passed away. I also love the fact that authors tend to write about life experiences in a way that most time helps me in mine!
Jeanne Takenaka said…
Fun post, Jane. Your book sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to get my hands on it.
In answer to your question, I read books for all three. Usually, if a friend recommends a book or if it's an author I enjoy reading, it's a given I'll read the book. I read a number of genres (but not all), so genre fits into the equation to a lesser degree. Looking forward to learning more about you!
Vivian Craig said…
I would have to say all of the above. I have a few authors, you included, that I just know that I will be ordering their books from Amazon as they are released. I love History so I read Historical fiction, biographies and other Historical books. I have a list of books that people have recommended that are on my list of books for when I have time to start something new. Sometimes I find a book because I love browsing the shelves of the library, I feel like I find some real jewels sometimes.
Anonymous said…
I would probably choose my books on the author as well as the subject matter. I do love mysteries and suspense. I love this contest because you are introducing me to authors I haven't read! Thank you!
Phyllis B
I read books by authors I've read before or the book sounds interesting, like Jane's Homestead book I bought at Costco some years ago. (Hey, she lives in the same state as me, too)! Now I've read almost all of them!
Anonymous said…
I find the more I read the more I am inclined to venture out into different directions. There was a season that I would pick a book by the author. But now I am open to all kinds of subjects, authors and always a friends commentary is a good thing.
Kate Joyce
Anonymous said…
I usually pick a book based on the author and the subject as well...I always love finding new authors!!

christy y.
Anonymous said…
I choose to read certain books depending on my motivation or need at the time. Many times it is for escape and to keep my mind engaged. In your case I was cruising mystery books at Costco for a female Northwest author. After reading front and back covers and seeing that the book was based on the life of a real woman in Northwest history, I bought it. You've had me hooked ever since--mind, heart, and spirit.

Marilynn D.
Neysa said…
I read books of authors that I think I have something in common with and whose books are deep and rich. No quick romance or detective books for me.
Neysa said…
For some reason my post doesn't seem to stay here. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Here goes again. I read authors that I feel I have something in common with and are deep, thoughtful books.
Anonymous said…
I am trying to do this right, but I don't thinks all of my posts are staying put!

I read a book for all of the reasons listed, but also from browsing a book store and a title or cover catches my eye.

Marea
mandmstone@msn.com