A contest in honor of you, your mother and perhaps a daughter, too


In this shot, Clara Estby is standing next to her mother both wearing the new reform dress donned when they reached Salt Lake City on their walk across America in 1896.  Clara's story is chronicled in my latest novel due out April 5 called The Daughter's Walk.

A Mother-Daughter Story Contest

The Daughter’s Walk reflects the challenges of a mother and daughter as they overcome a family misunderstanding where triumph and grace return to their lives.  Clara was never a mother...I'm telling a part of the story here; but she had a mother -- as do we all.  In honor of the book and Mother and daughters, I'd love to read your Mother or Daughter Story! 
                Story Suggestions?  A long-distance story about you and your mother, a first-time mom story, a loss your mother overcame and how it affected you or how about a secret revealed that proved to be a delight rather than causing a family schism?  These are just a few ideas to get you thinking.  Maybe your story is only a portion of something larger you're working on but are willing to share.  Three prizes will be awarded in various categories as well as a few runners up…All prizes will include a personalized copy of The Daughter’s Walk.  Winners will be announced on my website the week of April 18th and in April’s Story Sparks.
                I'd love to post your stories on my facebook page, include them in my Story Sparks newsletter, and possibly my website.  When you submit your story you are acknowledging that you are giving me permission to reprint your story.  If you would not like to give me this permission I need you to state as such (I understand some stories are sensitive in nature). Please be sure to sign your name as you would like it to appear when reprinted.  Your story will not be used for any other purpose.  In the interest of space, please keep your stories to a limit of 1500 characters.  Submit the story via my web page: http://www.jkbooks.com/Pages/contact.html.  Or you can leave your story on my blog comment section at http://www.Janeswordsofencouragement.blogspot.com   Remember, you don't need to think of yourself as a writer in order to write your story.  You just need to show up and write!
                The contest begins on March 26 and will end April 16th.
Thanks and happy writing. Warmly, Jane

Comments

Oh Jane, how you get the creative juices flowing in my mind with this! There is a story I will be glad to share someday, but the end hasn't been created yet. It's an ongoing story, the beginning was with my Granny Fortinberry, and the ending will be with my daughter. as that story is currently in the making and I still wait to know the ending, I can't write it up yet. I will begin, though, as you wrote in your book about the people in Aurora - "Begin to weave; God will provide the thread." I know this is true, and I thank you for that saying to describe this instance. Blessings as you walk your journey with your head held high. You never walk alone.

Patty
Unknown said…
Jane,

My mom, Dorothy Dietrich, was a wonderful woman. She was a farmer's wife who did it all. Haying, milking, raising pigs, 20,000 fryers every 9 weeks a HUGE vegetable garden and canned everything for the winter months as well as running a household with a large family. She had 4 sons and 1 daughter, me. She was an awesome cook. She taught all of us kids to make nutritious food and have fun doing it. We learned to make homemade cider and we put up 50 to 60 gallons each and every year.

She saw her parents through their final illnesses, taking my grandmother into her home after my grandpa's death and cared for her for 11 years.

She watched as 2 of her sons suffered major illnesses and their consequent deaths and then held her high and proud as she and Daddy were notified by the US Army of my 19 year old brother's accidental flight accident death.

My hubby and I moved into their home in 1997 to care for both my aging parents. Daddy died in 2001 and my mom followed just 5 months later.

She accepted Jesus as her Savior on her 84 birthday, just 5 days before her death, Mother's Day of 2002. I miss her so very much, each and every day. She was an example to me that I modeled to my own children many times over. And now I see them modeling it to theirs. Gram would be ever so proud.